[Dixielandjazz] Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

Stan Brager sbrager@socal.rr.com" <sbrager@socal.rr.com
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:01:51 -0800

Dan;

I first heard Pete Daily when he was playing in the Astor Bar in the San
Fernando Valley near the corner of Laurel Canyon and Ventura Blvd. I was
selling newspapers on that corner and, although I was merely 13 or 14,
would go to the bar to sell papers to the patrons. From time to time, Pete
and the band would be playing and I'd take my time in the Astor listening
to this wonderfully swinging band.

His theme song was "I Want To Linger" which was quite popular with the
band's many fans. However, Rosy McHargue, the clarinetist and arranger for
the band, told me that Pete didn't like the number when Rosy brought him
the arrangement. Pete changed his mind when he saw how popular "I Want To
Linger" was with his fans.

I haven't seen any recordings on CD and I don't know why. Pete made many
recordings for Jump, Capitol, Jazz Man, Sunset labels.

Stan
Stan Brager
Trombonist-in-Training