[Dixielandjazz] Long Beach

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:02:45 +0100

Well, I see my post got through, so I must be back on DJML.
My trip went well to Long Beach, although my Dad is not as well as I
thought.  On another point, though, Long Beach is thriving....at least
on classy Pine Ave.   Three Italian Americans joined up to convert two
bank buildings, one in front of the other on Pine Ave.  into
restaurants.  The rest of the Avenue has restaurants shoulder to
shoulder for blocks.  Mostly all up market.  The Madison has OKOM on
Friday & Sunday with a clarinettist leading a trio of rhythm, and a
singer.

I said OKOM, but it was rather watered down stuff, catering to the ball
room dancers on the floor.  That was fine, but the band, in my opinion,
could have put a little more into it.  The clarinettist is all into
"looking & sounding" 1930's, right down to clothes and hair, as is the
girl singer.  Sorta "I can't move too fast, 'cause they all moved this
way in the '30's" attitude.  I prefer hearing/playing the old stuff, but
using what we got today, not just trying to portray a period.  Anyway,
it was enjoyable, and the restaurant sports a 4 or 5 storey ceiling,
which was part of the old bank I remember when I was a kid.

Drag about the way they push drinks in the U.S.  A near empty glass
brings a waitress running over to see if you want another.  In Spain,
you can sit the whole evening with a small coffee!  However, there was
no cover charge, so I guess they have to be pushy.  A tiny glass of
Drambuie & a glass of white wine (nasty) = $15!   Still, with a live

Jim (Back Home Again In Madrid) Kash