[Dixielandjazz] Illinois Jacquet

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 15:16:00 -0500

Remembering a recent thread about Illinois Jacquet, here is a
performance listing for him, from the New York Times. I would go up to
see him and the big band excapt, RATS, I'm gigging all this weekend. If
in NYC this weekend, go see him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

ILLINOIS JACQUET BIG BAND, Jazz Standard, 116 East 27th Street,
Manhattan, (212) 576-2232. Since the early 1940's, when he started out
with Lionel Hampton's band, Illinois Jacquet has had a saxophone style
that most resembled blown kisses and thrown bricks: he is one of the
old-fashioned soft-at-heart players. His big band, which he has kept
together against the odds for around 15 years, has the knockabout heft
that used to be common in jazz. Sets through Sunday are at 7:30 and 9:30
p.m.; cover charge is $30