[Dixielandjazz] Copyright discussion

David Palmquist davidpalmquist@dccnet.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:48:06 -0800

--=====================_2057368==_.ALT

Rocky asked:
>Re: [Dixielandjazz] Copyright discussion
>...However... the REAL QUESTION OKOM bands want answered is when is the=20
>LAST YEAR that a composition could have been published and have "missed=20
>the boat" for extensions under all current laws? What fell out of=20
>protection before these newer copyright laws were revised or changed?  Any=
=20
>ideas if there is a safe area? or safe date? or dividing line? or must
>every song be researched?...

This is from Circular 15t on the US site:
"=B7      A work published before January 1, 1964, and originally=
 copyrighted=20
within the past 75 years may still be protected by copyright if a valid=20
renewal registration was made during the 28th year of the first term of the=
=20
copyright. If renewed and if still valid under the other provisions of the=
=20
law, the copyright will now expire 95 years from the end of the year in=20
which it was first secured. Works published before January 1, 1923, have=20
fallen into the public domain, but works published after that date could=20
still be protected by copyright if the copyright was renewed by=20
registration or automatically by law under Public Law 102-307."

Now let me ask, what does OKOM mean?

David in Delta

--=====================_2057368==_.ALT

Rocky asked:<br>
discussion <br>
...However... the REAL QUESTION OKOM bands want answered is when is the
LAST YEAR that a composition could have been published and have
&quot;missed the boat&quot; for extensions under all current laws? What
fell out of protection before these newer copyright laws were revised or
changed?&nbsp; Any ideas if there is a safe area? or safe date? or
dividing line? or must <br>
every song be researched?...</blockquote><br>
This is from Circular 15t on the US site: <br>
&quot;<font face=3D"Symbol">=B7<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</=
x-tab></font>A
work published before January 1, 1964, and originally copyrighted within
the past 75 years may still be protected by copyright if a valid renewal
registration was made during the 28th year of the first term of the
copyright. If renewed and if still valid under the other provisions of
the law, the copyright will now expire 95 years from the end of the year
in which it was first secured. Works published before <b>January 1,
1923,</b> have fallen into the public domain, but works published after
that date could still be protected by copyright if the copyright was
renewed by registration or automatically by law under Public Law
102-307.&quot; <br><br>
Now let me ask, what does OKOM mean?<br><br>
David in Delta<br><br>