[Dixielandjazz] Another one gone...Brian Shanley.

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:02:11 EDT

--part1_b4.c45f961.2a28ea73_boundary

In a message dated 5/31/02 9:23:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
cellblk7@attbi.com writes:

> Sadly, I just read in the local obituary that Brian Shanley passed away at
> age 70. It said he was a clarinet player and that he toured with the Bob
> Scobey band. As I remember, I think he played for many years in "Hangtown"
> jazz band also. I heard him play several times, and as I remember, he
> played an Albert system clarinet.
> If anyone wishes more information, let me know off-list.

I can't believe this.  Is this true?  Brian Shanley and I were close friends.
 we played at the U of wisconsin in beer joints, we joined bob Scobey's band
together in 1958 and we left together two years later.
We shared a pad right next to Jazz Ltd. and after Scobey we worked with
Clancy Hayes who had left Scobey and we had a band together with George Zack.

Shanley moved to california and lived in Lodi, I believe.  We met only a few
times after that.  I'm very sorry to say that we did not keep in touch.

Shanley switched from the Boehm ystem to Albert system while we were Scobey
and the band went throught the tortures of the damned during this transition.
 He was convinced that, though the Albert system was harder to play, the
Albert clarinets had a bigger sound.

Brian Shanley was a fine clarinetist with a true and genuine interest and
love for classic jazz.  A great guy to know and work with.

Please give more information on or off line.

I am stunned at this news.

Jim Beebe

--part1_b4.c45f961.2a28ea73_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 5/31/02 9:23:26 AM Central Daylight Time, cellblk7@attbi.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
<B>Sadly, I just read in the local obituary that Brian Shanley passed away at age 70. It said he was a clarinet player and that he toured with the Bob Scobey band. As I remember, I think he played for many years in "Hangtown" jazz band also. I heard him play several times, and as I remember, he played an Albert system clarinet.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><B>If anyone wishes more information, let me know off-list.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
I can't believe this.&nbsp; Is this true?&nbsp; Brian Shanley and I were close friends.&nbsp; we played at the U of wisconsin in beer joints, we joined bob Scobey's band together in 1958 and we left together two years later.<BR>
We shared a pad right next to Jazz Ltd. and after Scobey we worked with Clancy Hayes who had left Scobey and we had a band together with George Zack.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Shanley moved to california and lived in Lodi, I believe.&nbsp; We met only a few times after that.&nbsp; I'm very sorry to say that we did not keep in touch.<BR>
<BR>
Shanley switched from the Boehm ystem to Albert system while we were Scobey and the band went throught the tortures of the damned during this transition.&nbsp; He was convinced that, though the Albert system was harder to play, the Albert clarinets had a bigger sound.<BR>
<BR>
Brian Shanley was a fine clarinetist with a true and genuine interest and love for classic jazz.&nbsp; A great guy to know and work with.<BR>
<BR>
Please give more information on or off line.<BR>
<BR>
I am stunned at this news.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_b4.c45f961.2a28ea73_boundary--