[Dixielandjazz] More on Georg Brunis

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:10:53 EDT

--part1_b0.27a2d359.2a28de6d_boundary

In a message dated 5/31/02 5:52:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> The stories about George are endless, and everybody whoever worked around
> Chicago in the 50's-70's period has some.
> I recall going into the 1111 Club under the "L" on Bryn Mar to hear the
> band. Del Lincoln on Cornet, and the crazed drummer Hey Hey Humphries on
> drums, as well as George. This was in the 50's.
> The band played behind the bar on stand in front of  psuedo Art Deco
> columns
> of Naugahyde-covered cotton batten. Hey Hey would do this little bit of
> business where he would beat a drumstick back against the padded column.
> In time his drum stick had torn through the padding to the cotton padding
> and when he would put the stick back there to do a one-handed paradiddle,
> the cotton would fly like a snow storm.
> Hey Hey was a good drummer but had some serious mental problems that
> eventually got him sent downstate to the Matoon state farm for the
> hopelessly silly.

   I came into Chicago with Bob Scobey in 1958-59.  We worked out of Chicago
all over the midwest and played in Chicago at various clubs. George brunis
liked the scobey band and would come to sue us.  so, he vaguely knew me as a
young punk trombonist.  I went to see him one night at the 1111 Club.  Brunis
used to take his trombone slide and run it under Hey, Hey Humprey's nose
while Hey, Hey was doing a solo.  This particular night Hey, Hey had had
enough of this and he took his drum stick and whacked Brunis's trombone
slide.  He creamed it.  It was unplayable and Brunis begged me to go get my
trombone so he could play out the night.  I had a new Conn and was not about
to allow it in Brunis's hands and so I begged off with some story.

Hey, Hey was a fine drummer.  About the same size and mental deportment as
Barrett Deems.  Musicians fantasized about getting those two together and I
believe that someone actually brought this off.  I would have loved to have
been there. .

JIm Beebe

--part1_b0.27a2d359.2a28de6d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 5/31/02 5:52:14 AM Central Daylight Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">The stories about George are endless, and everybody whoever worked around<BR>
Chicago in the 50's-70's period has some.<BR>
I recall going into the 1111 Club under the "L" on Bryn Mar to hear the<BR>
band. Del Lincoln on Cornet, and the crazed drummer Hey Hey Humphries on<BR>
drums, as well as George. This was in the 50's.<BR>
The band played behind the bar on stand in front of&nbsp; psuedo Art Deco columns<BR>
of Naugahyde-covered cotton batten. Hey Hey would do this little bit of<BR>
business where he would beat a drumstick back against the padded column.<BR>
In time his drum stick had torn through the padding to the cotton padding<BR>
and when he would put the stick back there to do a one-handed paradiddle,<BR>
the cotton would fly like a snow storm.<BR>
Hey Hey was a good drummer but had some serious mental problems that<BR>
eventually got him sent downstate to the Matoon state farm for the<BR>
hopelessly silly.&nbsp; </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I came into Chicago with Bob Scobey in 1958-59.&nbsp; We worked out of Chicago all over the midwest and played in Chicago at various clubs. George brunis liked the scobey band and would come to sue us.&nbsp; so, he vaguely knew me as a young punk trombonist.&nbsp; I went to see him one night at the 1111 Club.&nbsp; Brunis used to take his trombone slide and run it under Hey, Hey Humprey's nose while Hey, Hey was doing a solo.&nbsp; This particular night Hey, Hey had had enough of this and he took his drum stick and whacked Brunis's trombone slide.&nbsp; He creamed it.&nbsp; It was unplayable and Brunis begged me to go get my trombone so he could play out the night.&nbsp; I had a new Conn and was not about to allow it in Brunis's hands and so I begged off with some story.<BR>
<BR>
Hey, Hey was a fine drummer.&nbsp; About the same size and mental deportment as Barrett Deems.&nbsp; Musicians fantasized about getting those two together and I believe that someone actually brought this off.&nbsp; I would have loved to have been there. .<BR>
<BR>
JIm Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_b0.27a2d359.2a28de6d_boundary--