[Dixielandjazz] 1 hour sets

Ron Going dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 20:53:44 -0500

--------------020602070804010004020103

Cary, list mates, and most of all, intelligent festival directors.

The 75 minute set is a sad  hoax.  Talk to any honest musician and they
will reveal that they pace themselves. The world is very used to 45
minute sets with 15 minute breaks. That allows the musicians to perform
at a very high level  for the performance period with adequate time to
recover for a repeat performance. What the hell do they think we are,
machines?

If you haven't noticed, a lot of musicians are  driving the 75 minute
sets closer to 60 minutes by sheer procrastination. Good on 'em, I say!

Listen up. You must choose between quality and quantity.  We're only
human and we will adjust to suit the situation.
Best,
 Ron

SLGTJB wrote:

>on 5/29/02 7:03 PM, Ken Gates at keng@iswest.com wrote:
>
>>>Listmates--
>>>Very enjoyable Sacramento festival.
>>>I think the one hour sets are beneficial to the musicians.
>>>And also better for the listeners.  Allows for travel time
>>>between sets and more time to converse with the musicians
>>>during setup time.  Kudos to Roger Krum!!!
>>>Ken Gates
>>>

>It would be interesting to hear other musicians take on this.  I heard lots
>of negatives, including that the audience that stays in place, has to sit
>for 30 minutes without any action.
>
>Tex Wyndham and the Rent Party Revelers plunged ahead and started 5- 10
>minutes early (as soon as they had setup) as a courtesy to the audience who
>were sitting on their hands.
>
>In some cases, it may have been good for the musicians.
>
>Any opinions or experiences?
>
>Cary Hobbs

--------------020602070804010004020103

<head>
</head>
Cary, list mates, and most of all, intelligent festival directors.<br>
The 75 minute set is a sad &nbsp;hoax. &nbsp;Talk to any honest musician and they will
reveal that they pace themselves. The world is very used to 45 minute sets
with 15 minute breaks. That allows the musicians to perform at a very high
level &nbsp;for the performance period with adequate time to recover for a repeat
performance. What the hell do they think we are, machines?<br>
If you haven't noticed, a lot of musicians are &nbsp;driving the 75 minute sets
closer to 60 minutes by sheer procrastination. Good on 'em, I say! <br>
Listen up. You must choose between quality and quantity. &nbsp;We're only human
and we will adjust to suit the situation.<br>
Best,<br>
&nbsp;Ron<br>
SLGTJB wrote:<br>

--------------020602070804010004020103--