[Dixielandjazz] No dirge for England--not quite yet

Charlie Hooks dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 09:19:11 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3105595151_1849049_MIME_Part

on 5/29/02 5:57 PM, JimDBB@aol.com at JimDBB@aol.com wrote:

 So true...but I think that the National anthem at the end of a movie is a
bit much.

   Well, during WWII it was played before or after most movies in Texas
theatres.  No one remained seated, either.  Of course, that was in Texas
where we also loved John Wayne movies, long derided by intellectuals who
couldn't lift his boots.  Can imagine the disrespect that would ensue if a
modern theatre tried the anthem.

   As an unrepentant Anglophile I have watched that island descend from the
glory of the world, teaching all nations about fair play, the Court of
Equity motto: "Let right be done!,"  down to its present state, at the mercy
of foreign invaders (called immigrants) who have managed to infiltrate as
German troops never did.  All in the name of  irrational "fair play" that
granted entry to all carrying a British passport from former colonies.

   The wogs no longer "begin at Calais"; they now begin in every major
metropolis in England, heading for Scotland and Wales.   And I fear it is
too late for reversal; as it soon will be, also, here in the States.   Do I
sound like a High Tory?  I am.  So perhaps it's odd  (but not really) that I
love Australians.  Here's why:

   Maybe there is hope in Australia.  Remember that marvelous writer Nevill
Shute?  "On the Beach"?  Many others even better?  He once announced that if
England no longer supported the monarchy, the Queen could find defenders in
Australia.  I'm sure not all Aussies would agree, but I'll bet enough would
to make things hot for her enemies.  You see, Australians are much like
Texans; they like John Wayne, too.  They still feel, "Let right be done!"

   And they have never taken much excrement from anybody.

Charliehooks@earthlink,net

--MS_Mac_OE_3105595151_1849049_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>No dirge for England--not quite yet</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 5/29/02 5:57 PM, JimDBB@aol.com at JimDBB@aol.com wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> So true...but I think that the National =
anthem at the end of a movie is a bit much.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Well, during WWII it was played before or after most mov=
ies in Texas theatres. &nbsp;No one remained seated, either. &nbsp;Of course=
, that was in Texas where we also loved John Wayne movies, long derided by i=
ntellectuals who couldn't lift his boots. &nbsp;Can imagine the disrespect t=
hat would ensue if a modern theatre tried the anthem.<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As an unrepentant Anglophile I have watched that island =
descend from the glory of the world, teaching all nations about fair play, t=
he Court of Equity motto: &quot;Let right be done!,&quot; &nbsp;down to its =
present state, at the mercy of foreign invaders (called immigrants) who have=
 managed to infiltrate as German troops never did. &nbsp;All in the name of =
&nbsp;irrational &quot;fair play&quot; that granted entry to all carrying a =
British passport from former colonies. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The wogs no longer &quot;begin at Calais&quot;; they now=
 begin in every major metropolis in England, heading for Scotland and Wales.=
 &nbsp;&nbsp;And I fear it is too late for reversal; as it soon will be, als=
o, here in the States. &nbsp;&nbsp;Do I sound like a High Tory? &nbsp;I am. =
&nbsp;So perhaps it's odd &nbsp;(but not really) that I love Australians. &n=
bsp;Here's why:<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Maybe there is hope in Australia. &nbsp;Remember that ma=
rvelous writer Nevill Shute? &nbsp;&quot;On the Beach&quot;? &nbsp;Many othe=
rs even better? &nbsp;He once announced that if England no longer supported =
the monarchy, the Queen could find defenders in Australia. &nbsp;I'm sure no=
t all Aussies would agree, but I'll bet enough would to make things hot for =
her enemies. &nbsp;You see, Australians are much like Texans; they like John=
 Wayne, too. &nbsp;They still feel, &quot;Let right be done!&quot;<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;And they have never taken much excrement from anybody.<B=

<BR>
Charliehooks@earthlink,net<BR>
<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3105595151_1849049_MIME_Part--