Fwd: [dixielandjazz] A Dirge

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 18:57:07 EDT

--part1_17b.8f6262b.2a26b6c3_boundary

From: JimDBB@aol.com
Full-name: JimDBB
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:51:08 EDT
Subject: Re: [dixielandjazz]  A Dirge
To: dixielandjazz@lists.islandnet.com

--part2_17b.8f6262b.2a26a74c_boundary

In a message dated 5/29/02 10:20:10 AM Central Daylight Time, PLadd36932
writes:

> << We have all witnessed recent
> desecrations of our National Anthem.  Soul singers and country singers have
>
> almost destroyed our sacred song beyond recognition. >>
>
> Its happening all over Jim. We have football fans with hats, pants, faces
> even painted with the Union Jack. In my youth someone would have taken
> these misguided characters aside and explained things to them. Forcibly if
> need be. No law. No officialdom.Just somebody pointing out that they should
> show a little respect.

   I'm sure that they got this from the yahoos here in the states.  American
flags are now on every possible thing and gizmo that you could get a minature
flag on.  It is truly excessive and their should be laws against improper
reproduction of the flag.

   I have a film of the British 'Remembrance Day" ceremony and it is truly
beautifully solemn.  It makes our Memorial ceremonies look like cheap las
Vegas productions.
Everything comes to a dead stop for two minutes of silence.   Here in the
states that couldn't manage 10 seconds.

The National Anthem was always played at the end of the evenings film.
performance. There were always a few who scurried out before it started, but
not
> many.
> Now we have a pop concert in the grounds of Buckingham Palace to mark the
> fact that the Queen has been on the throne for 50 years. The `artists` have
> refused to sing the Anthem `because its a dirge`.

 A dirge?  The British National Anthem is one of the mot beautiful and
powerful songs in the world.  Most people here don't know that this song is
the British National anthem...most think that it is "My country Tis' of
thee."

I now how I would deal with it but in these days of `popular` culture no one
has the
> guts to take a stand.
>
> Cheers

    So true...but I think that the National anthem at the end of a movie is a
bit much.
    We have to put up with our Anthem being murdered by some pop-soul-country
singer.

    Jim B

--part2_17b.8f6262b.2a26a74c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 5/29/02 10:20:10 AM Central Daylight Time, PLadd36932 writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&lt;&lt; We have all witnessed recent <BR>
desecrations of our National Anthem.&nbsp; Soul singers and country singers have <BR>
almost destroyed our sacred song beyond recognition. &gt;&gt;<BR>
<BR>
Its happening all over Jim. We have football fans with hats, pants, faces even painted with the Union Jack. In my youth someone would have taken these misguided characters aside and explained things to them. Forcibly if need be. No law. No officialdom.Just somebody pointing out that they should show a little respect.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm sure that they got this from the yahoos here in the states.&nbsp; American flags are now on every possible thing and gizmo that you could get a minature flag on.&nbsp; It is truly excessive and their should be laws against improper reproduction of the flag.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I have a film of the British 'Remembrance Day" ceremony and it is truly beautifully solemn.&nbsp; It makes our Memorial ceremonies look like cheap las Vegas productions.<BR>
Everything comes to a dead stop for two minutes of silence.&nbsp;&nbsp; Here in the states that couldn't manage 10 seconds.<BR>
<BR>
The National Anthem was always played at the end of the evenings film.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">performance. There were always a few who scurried out before it started, but not </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">many.<BR>
Now we have a pop concert in the grounds of Buckingham Palace to mark the fact that the Queen has been on the throne for 50 years. The `artists` have refused to sing the Anthem `because its a dirge`.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
 A dirge?&nbsp; The British National Anthem is one of the mot beautiful and powerful songs in the world.&nbsp; Most people here don't know that this song is the British National anthem...most think that it is "My country Tis' of thee."<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
I now how I would deal with it but in these days of `popular` culture no one has the </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">guts to take a stand.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So true...but I think that the National anthem at the end of a movie is a bit much.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We have to put up with our Anthem being murdered by some pop-soul-country singer.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim B</FONT></HTML>