[Dixielandjazz] OKOM Reviews

David Richoux tubaman@wombat.net
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:25:57 -0700

"Henry B. Stinson" wrote:

> I've been asked to write a "jazz column" for a new magazine in DC called "Definition".
> Like I really know what the heck I'm talking about -- but I said yes.

Likewise, I am sure!

I have been on the air with an OKOM show since 1983 and have been listening this
sort of music since my childhood in the 50s and playing various forms of it since
the 70s but I don't think I could write a "jazz column" for a general circulation
magazine to save my life.  The concept of writing to the mass population about what
jazz is, was, or will be, what is "good" or "bad" jazz, who is worth the time and
energy (and $)  to hear live, buy a recording or even waste time contemplating their
status on the jazz spectrum is beyond my capability.

All I can do is play what I like to hear or at least take a chance with other folk's
recordings and be amazed by the skills I can recognize (or emulate) and every once
in a while I can get right into my horn and play some of the best things I can
(especially when the other musicians in the band are in the same groove.) And that
is what it is all about.

Dave Richoux

BTW, not very OKOM related at all (just the closing song) but be very sure to see
the new movie "Sunshine State"  I just saw it this afternoon and it has to be one of
the best films of the year!