[Dixielandjazz] Conservatives & Liberals--Definitions

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 22:34:52 -0500

From: "Henry B. Stinson" <HenryStinson@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:05:13 -0400
I've been asked to write a "jazz column" for a new magazine in DC
called "Definition".
Answer #1: No.
Answer #2: If we can't define it, we can't say when someone ain't doing it.
Why:       "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing."

     OKOM has a publicity problem.  Why not tell your local newspaper,
radio and TV stations, and anyone else who'll listen, that on July
4th all local dixieland bands will play free concerts to celebrate
jazz, America's premier art-form and exemplar of freedom and
individuality.
     If you're not doing anything really important, why not take your
instrument down to the central park in your area and jam with whoever
shows up.  No plan, no charts, no money, just go play.  But try your
damndest to get some TV-cameras down there too.  I'm leaving for
Silverton, Colorado, in the morning to play in their 4th of July
parade, followed by a concert in the park, and i'm going to ask
people in the band to stick around after the concert and play some
jazz--whatever comes out.  Worth a try.

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**                "'Shut up,' he explained."                          **