[Dixielandjazz] Not Dixieland Jazz

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:04:07 EDT

--part1_1bb.271f7e8.2a4e4567_boundary

In a message dated 6/28/02 1:49:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> Jim Beebe is right, the post was not Dixieland Jazz. It was so noted at
> the beginning. It was also noted that the post referenced Yoruba music
> and religious praise songs which were an integral part of the foundation
> of Dixieland Jazz.

Steve, this will be news to people who know something about the origins of
Dixieland Jazz.

> It seems to me that the "Jazz Police" are getting restless. We tend to
> dismiss all music we don't like as trash. Interesting view point. Much
> like the pre World War II book burnings because those books were not to
> some one dimensional person's liking. Who among us is able to state with
> real conviction that the music, or politics, or religion, or what ever
> we espouse is the only correct stuff?  Those who espouse it are trying
> to foist their own brand of political correctness on the rest of us.

I never 'trashed' any music.  I simply said that repetetive postings about
modern jazz didn't belong here.

Get off your soap box...this belongs at Bughouse Square, not here.

> Is is education? If we are educated, is our view therefore correct. Can
> the best and the brightest tell us what is good and what is bad? My,
> what egotistical garbage. Just read Robert McNamara's mea culpa about
> his part in the tragedy of Vietnam. As a member of the best and the
> brightest, he helped get 50,000 American Boys killed. For nothing. I got
> news folks, everybody's opinion counts and sometimes the dumb ones are
> better then those of the educated elite.

Jesus...now a lecture on Robert McNamara.  Charlie Hooks, plese come and help
Steve Barbone out here.

> Musical education? Most of us have only studied European and American
> Music. We are woefully ignorant of the beauty of the music of India,
> China, The Middle East etc. So please don't tell the rest of the world
> what music to like and what not to like. You only highlight your own
> ignorance. Pure and simple, music is in the ear of the listener, not in
> the words of of the "elitists".

   I'll refer you to my statement above.  I have never suggested what you
should like and not like.  Try reading what I actually have written.

> Yes, my taste in music is very broad. From Sousa (which folks post about
> in detail and has less to do with Dixieland than my post in question) to
> Cecil Taylor, to Bach,  Beethoven, and Stravinski, Ravi Shankar and a
> whole bunch of others worldwide.

   Big deal.

> How do I say this gently? If you don't like what I post, don't read it.

You just don't get it , do you.  I like what you post...when it relates to
the subject of this list and as I have tried to say, we all post off topic
posts because we feel that they be of interest.  but we don't do it as a
regular practice.  thi is all I have been trying to say.  Let us hear what
you have to say...forget the NY Times unless it really is pertinent.

JIm Beebe

--part1_1bb.271f7e8.2a4e4567_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/28/02 1:49:01 PM Central Daylight Time, barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Jim Beebe is right, the post was not Dixieland Jazz. It was so noted at<BR>
the beginning. It was also noted that the post referenced Yoruba music<BR>
and religious praise songs which were an integral part of the foundation<BR>
of Dixieland Jazz.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Steve, this will be news to people who know something about the origins of Dixieland Jazz.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">It seems to me that the "Jazz Police" are getting restless. We tend to<BR>
dismiss all music we don't like as trash. Interesting view point. Much<BR>
like the pre World War II book burnings because those books were not to<BR>
some one dimensional person's liking. Who among us is able to state with<BR>
real conviction that the music, or politics, or religion, or what ever<BR>
we espouse is the only correct stuff?&nbsp; Those who espouse it are trying<BR>
to foist their own brand of political correctness on the rest of us.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
I never 'trashed' any music.&nbsp; I simply said that repetetive postings about modern jazz didn't belong here.<BR>
<BR>
Get off your soap box...this belongs at Bughouse Square, not here.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Is is education? If we are educated, is our view therefore correct. Can<BR>
the best and the brightest tell us what is good and what is bad? My,<BR>
what egotistical garbage. Just read Robert McNamara's mea culpa about<BR>
his part in the tragedy of Vietnam. As a member of the best and the<BR>
brightest, he helped get 50,000 American Boys killed. For nothing. I got<BR>
news folks, everybody's opinion counts and sometimes the dumb ones are<BR>
better then those of the educated elite.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Jesus...now a lecture on Robert McNamara.&nbsp; Charlie Hooks, plese come and help Steve Barbone out here.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Musical education? Most of us have only studied European and American<BR>
Music. We are woefully ignorant of the beauty of the music of India,<BR>
China, The Middle East etc. So please don't tell the rest of the world<BR>
what music to like and what not to like. You only highlight your own<BR>
ignorance. Pure and simple, music is in the ear of the listener, not in<BR>
the words of of the "elitists".<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I'll refer you to my statement above.&nbsp; I have never suggested what you should like and not like.&nbsp; Try reading what I actually have written.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Yes, my taste in music is very broad. From Sousa (which folks post about<BR>
in detail and has less to do with Dixieland than my post in question) to<BR>
Cecil Taylor, to Bach,&nbsp; Beethoven, and Stravinski, Ravi Shankar and a<BR>
whole bunch of others worldwide.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp; Big deal.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">How do I say this gently? If you don't like what I post, don't read it.<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
You just don't get it , do you.&nbsp; I like what you post...when it relates to the subject of this list and as I have tried to say, we all post off topic posts because we feel that they be of interest.&nbsp; but we don't do it as a regular practice.&nbsp; thi is all I have been trying to say.&nbsp; Let us hear what you have to say...forget the NY Times unless it really is pertinent.<BR>
<BR>
JIm Beebe<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>