[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland + other musics

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:15:46 +0200

To join the scene about whether modern jazz, etc., should be mentioned
on DJML......

I don't particularly see any purpose in copying a news article & posting
it if it has nothing to do with OKOM.  However, if something in the
article can be referred to & brought up as a subject we might be able to
respond to, or be interested in, then the practice seems acceptable to
me.  But, that requires the poster to come up with a subject, and make
his basic comments to start the "conversation" flowing.

I have, in the past, given reports on concerts I have attended.  For
instance, I reported on a fantastic concert put on by Prince.  Right,
nothing to do with OKOM!  Wrong!  I tried to relate the performance
tricks, the sound, lighting, audience reaction, audience participation,
etc., to performances some of us might have.  If I had just posted a
straight report on the concert, then it probably wouldn't have any
reason to be on a Dixieland Mailing List.  However, by noting things
that can be related to OKOM at the concert, then it can become an
interesting venture.
I haven't yet decided if lying across the top of the grand piano &
humping can be put into our show, but other things Prince does can be
applied.  (What GREAT musicians he uses!!)

I get a lot out of all types of music, and it may depend on my mood
which I listen to at a given moment.  Had a full morning of Frank
Sinatra today!  If we only listen to OKOM we can become like the horse
with blinders.  Ya shoulda heard my Dixieland playing in 1992, as I was
putting together & mixing 22 Contemporary Music CD's during that year!!
I started hearing far out things & my improvisation was going a bit
weird.  Plus, I had this urge to break glass or scream from time to
time!   :>

So much for all that..... Jim