[Dixielandjazz] Following Eubie Blake--Art Hodes

Stephen Heist heist@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:47:32 -0600

> >Yep, it was the same year...  I remember Art - a guy came up from the
audience and says "I really love your playing, Mr. Hodes" but he pronounced
it "hoads"  and, boy, did Art correct him!  I'm sure you can imagine...
Wonderful time!!! and some great performers!!!

> Stubby or anyone--
>     OK, i'll admit my ignorance.  How DO you pronounce his name?  I've
never heard it pronounced.  Reminds me of a music-theory teacher i had in
college who said he was ridiculed for pronouncing 'misled' as "MYZZLed", but
he had never heard it pronounced, only read it.

Dan,
Art's last name was pronounced "Hoadeese" (close as I can come in artificial
phonetics... :-)