[Dixielandjazz] Band kibitzers and suprise singers.

Art Terry duckbucket@hotmail.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:05:08 -0700

One never knows how to respond to folks who want to be part of the act, for
instance:

Early one Saturday morning this May, a limited edition of the "Boondockers"
was performing a Sacramento Jazz Jubilee sponsored promotional gig. This was
at a "Dog-a-thon" in Placerville, California. It was sort of a canine
"steeple chase" fund raiser for a charitable organization.

Our "stage" was home plate on a weedy softball field behind a school. We
performed against the back drop of several blue porta potties and in the
ambience of 30-40 contestant dogs - caged, leashed or running free.  At one
time, our dog-event preoccupied, sitting audience swelled to over 9 or 10
people!

Co-appearing at the event was a clown, by the name of William Zwacky.  In
baggy pants and full makeup, William wandered amongst the pet owners and
their sometimes talented companions.  Behind him, he pulled a small rickety
old cart full of wood animal push toys. In his other hand, he was holding a
leash containing an invisible dog who could leave your pant leg wet.

Mr. Zwacky periodically approached the band during our three hours "at the
plate" and loudly yelled, "Do you want me to sing yet?" What should have
been the appropriate response, given the circumstances?