[Dixielandjazz] Handling obnoxious drunks

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:42:49 -0500

"How do you handle one who insists on singing along with the band?   One who
stands right in front of the band and tries to "entertain" everyone else."

Rebecca Thompson

Flower Mound, TX

Back in the old days I've been known to ask for a drumroll, a short trumpet
fanfare, switch the small spot on the piano music over to the drunk, and
INTRODUCE him:  "Ladies and Gentlemen!  You all know the famous film star,
Miss Lana Turner!   Well, here with us tonight we are honored to have her
brother--- Mr. STOMACH Turner!!!  (applause).

I've seen the drunk join in the applause, and look around for Lana's
brother; but the crowd usually loved it: they'd been thinking along those
lines themselves.

Charlie