Fw: [Dixielandjazz] Audience Put downs total misinterpretation again:

thodgson thodgson5@cogeco.ca
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 07:49:52 -0400

is generally used in a friendly manner to refer to paying >customers or the
'bums on seats' so necessary to the well-being of >jazz!

As you suggest, 'punter' is a more or less respectful way of referring to
the those who pay the piper.  However, you've done it again with "bums on
seats".........in the USA this means hobos (tramps to you) and is ,again,
disrespectful.  Oh dear, "two countries separated by a single language" or
whatever Winston said.
Trevor Hodgson

PS: Personally, I'm always polite to the audience.  Without them I'd be
playing solo in the bathroom.