[Dixielandjazz] One Liners From Listeners

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 23:37:42 EDT

--part1_1ac.40f0b7f.2a469c86_boundary

In a message dated 6/22/02 4:16:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
ringwald@calweb.com writes:

> One of my favorites is when someone comes up to you and says:
>
> Or, just after you have played a tune, someone comes up and requests it.
>
> Bob
> mr.wonderful@ringwald.com

   Yep...I pulled this classic faux paux myelf once...on no less than Wally
Rose.
    This was in 1952.  Shortly after arriving out of boot camp to my
assignment with the Dept. of Pacific Marine Corps Band, stationed at Treasure
Island.  T I was a Navy Base next to Yerba Buena Island off of San Francisco.
 I was feeling my way around the Jazz scene in the city and I walked into a
nice bar where Wally Rose was playing solo piano. I wore my uniform as
usually people would buy military guys drinks...the Korean was was on and
there were lots of servicemen in Frisco. I was under age and usually the
clubs wouldn't hassle you if you had a uniform on.

 I already knew about Wally Rose from the new Bob Scobey recordings that were
out and Turk Murphys.  I sat down and was enjoying Wally, immensely.  I
wanted to show him that I appreciated this music and that I knew something
about it. After he finished one particular number I said, "Mr. Rose, can you
play the Pearls?"  He looked at me strangely and said, "that's what I just
finished playing."  Of course, I wanted to sink through the floor.  He
appreciated me being there, though, as no one else was really listening to
him.

So, I've always had some empathy for the person who asks you to play the
'Muskrat Ramble' right after you've finished playing it.

JIm Beebe

--part1_1ac.40f0b7f.2a469c86_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/22/02 4:16:16 PM Central Daylight Time, ringwald@calweb.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">One of my favorites is when someone comes up to you and says:<BR>
<BR>
Or, just after you have played a tune, someone comes up and requests it.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Bob<BR>
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Yep...I pulled this classic faux paux myelf once...on no less than Wally Rose.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This was in 1952.&nbsp; Shortly after arriving out of boot camp to my assignment with the Dept. of Pacific Marine Corps Band, stationed at Treasure Island.&nbsp; T I was a Navy Base next to Yerba Buena Island off of San Francisco.&nbsp; I was feeling my way around the Jazz scene in the city and I walked into a nice bar where Wally Rose was playing solo piano. I wore my uniform as usually people would buy military guys drinks...the Korean was was on and there were lots of servicemen in Frisco. I was under age and usually the clubs wouldn't hassle you if you had a uniform on.<BR>
<BR>
 I already knew about Wally Rose from the new Bob Scobey recordings that were out and Turk Murphys.&nbsp; I sat down and was enjoying Wally, immensely.&nbsp; I wanted to show him that I appreciated this music and that I knew something about it. After he finished one particular number I said, "Mr. Rose, can you play the Pearls?"&nbsp; He looked at me strangely and said, "that's what I just finished playing."&nbsp; Of course, I wanted to sink through the floor.&nbsp; He appreciated me being there, though, as no one else was really listening to him. <BR>
<BR>
So, I've always had some empathy for the person who asks you to play the 'Muskrat Ramble' right after you've finished playing it.<BR>
<BR>
JIm Beebe<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_1ac.40f0b7f.2a469c86_boundary--