[Dixielandjazz] Why Saxophone (or clarinet) - Was Hardest Instrument

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 10:46:07 -0500

on 6/19/02 5:42 PM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet@earthlink.net wrote:

> In the words of Henry Ford II, to the Detroit Press who learned he was
> ticketed by the police for driving under the influence (and in the
> company of a lovely young woman, not his wife):
>
> "Never complain, never explain."  :-)

    Sounds right to me.  Only met that gentleman once, in Dearborn, MI, at a
formal party, all in tuxes, except Henry II in blue jeans (guess everyone
knew he could afford a tux if he so desired)  Came weaving and gliding up to
bandstand, catches my coat, says: "Kin you play 'Up the Lazy Liver'?  I got
one..." and weaves off into the sunset.  [Whose band was it?  Al Winters?
Probably. I was a bit overserved myself.]

    Outside I found he'd driven a Model A Ford to the party.  All by
himself: no bodyguards.  Loved it!

Charlie

Charlie