[Dixielandjazz] Hardest instrment to learn

benny theiler bennyth@ev1.net
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:30:49 -0500

On Wed. Jun 19.2002 10:38 pm Ron Going wrote to Benny Theiler:  "When was
the last, (or first) time you heard an oboe in a Dixieland band????"

Ron:  If I interpreted correctly the initial question from Bob Romans:  "I
don't wish to start a nuclear war here, but I've gotten into some
discussions lately about which is the hardest instrument to learn, (My
vote - Oboe) and which is the easiest (My vote Saxophone).   Then the
reference: "If a friend of yours wants to learn to play in a Dixieland jazz
band, and has never played ANY instrument,  and asked you which one would
get him there fastest, what would you tell him/her?"  Naturally the
Saxophone.

I was not implying that I have ever heard an "Oboe" in a Dixieland Band -
However I do have a recording of Alec Wilder (Octets) - Long Playing Mercury
Records MG 25008 - Where he uses Bassoon and English Horn, and they really
jazz it up and swing.   This is also MKOM.

Best regards

Benny Theiler
bennyth@ev1.net