[Dixielandjazz] Exhibiton of the Storyville photos of E. J. Bellocq

thodgson thodgson5@cogeco.ca
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:45:00 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: brian.harvey5 <brian.harvey5@ntlworld.com>

>>E.J. Bellocq's wonderful photos of the 'working' girls of New Orleans
>>Storyville district have rightly become famous

Thanks for your report on this London exhibition.  I am sorry I cannot
attend.
I have a good book on Bellocq's work,  "Storyville Portraits", published by
the Museum of Modern Art, NY.  There is also a movie based loosely on him
and his work: "Pretty Baby".  It was banned in Ontario (not in Quebec).
Maybe it's available in video in England.  If I remember correctly, there is
no jazz content, however, it does give a good period portrait (no pun
intended) of NO around 1912.

Trevor Hodgson
www.sensationjazzband.com