[Dixielandjazz] Another one gone home

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 01:29:24 EDT

--part1_10c.1308a307.2a32f034_boundary

charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

>     The legendary bass player, "Truck" Parham, age 90, has just died after
> an illness.  A great guy and a fine player.  If you wonder why his nickname
> was "Truck," it means you've never played in front of him!  Memorial
> services will be held on Thursday, June 13, at Cage Memorial Chapel, 7651
> Jeffery Blvd. on the south side of Chicago, with a visitation at 6 pm and
> memorial service at 7 pm.
>
>     Chicago already missed Truck because he'd been in hospital awhile; but
> if you close your eyes, you can still hear that sound: gut strings about 2
> inches off the finger board, and he would rattle your cage even without an
> amp!  Truck had played with just about everybody who was anybody, and later
> on with many of us who weren't anybody!  Went through the bad old days and
> came out a gentleman.  Well done, Sir.
>
>     Musical content: "Goin' Home"
>

> Charlie

    I can only echo what Charlie Hooks has written.  One of the great bass
players in jazz has passed on.  A fixture on the Chicago jazz scene for many
years. I wrote a piece on Truck for the Jazz Institute of Chicago website a
year or so ago.  I'll pull it up and post it here.

    JIm Beebe

--part1_10c.1308a307.2a32f034_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/7/02 3:49:21 PM Central Daylight Time, charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The legendary bass player, "Truck" Parham, age 90, has just died after<BR>
an illness.&nbsp; A great guy and a fine player.&nbsp; If you wonder why his nickname<BR>
was "Truck," it means you've never played in front of him!&nbsp; Memorial<BR>
services will be held on Thursday, June 13, at Cage Memorial Chapel, 7651<BR>
Jeffery Blvd. on the south side of Chicago, with a visitation at 6 pm and<BR>
memorial service at 7 pm.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Chicago already missed Truck because he'd been in hospital awhile; but<BR>
if you close your eyes, you can still hear that sound: gut strings about 2<BR>
inches off the finger board, and he would rattle your cage even without an<BR>
amp!&nbsp; Truck had played with just about everybody who was anybody, and later<BR>
on with many of us who weren't anybody!&nbsp; Went through the bad old days and<BR>
came out a gentleman.&nbsp; Well done, Sir.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Musical content: "Goin' Home"<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Charlie </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I can only echo what Charlie Hooks has written.&nbsp; One of the great bass players in jazz has passed on.&nbsp; A fixture on the Chicago jazz scene for many years. I wrote a piece on Truck for the Jazz Institute of Chicago website a year or so ago.&nbsp; I'll pull it up and post it here.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; JIm Beebe</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_10c.1308a307.2a32f034_boundary--