[Dixielandjazz] Songs seldom played redux

Robert Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:11:03 -0700

> Don Ingle said
> > Since I started this thread off about non-shop-worm tunes that are not
> often
> > played, I will keep it going awhile.
> > To the list so far I add these
> > Hong Kong Blues
> > Memphis in June

I think John Petters replied:

> Two great tunes by Hoagy. I recorded the first on my Hoagy Centenary album
> in 99 and we played the secod in the touring show also. One of my fellow
> musicinas was uneasy at the lyric of Hong Kong Blues in these days of PC.
> sang it anyway without any changes.

Snip:

Bob Ringwald says:

I'll vote for "Ballad For Eddie."  This is a beautiful ballad written by
Dick Cary for Eddie Miller.  Betty O'Hara recorded the tune on a live
performance for the Blue Angel Jazz Club in the late 60s.  We used to
feature Don Nelson on sop sax playing it when I lived in Tinseltown & led
the Great Pacific JB.  Dick Cary wrote a beautiful arrangement for us to use
but would never write an ending.  He always said, "Just make something up."

Bob
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA  USA
See: http://www.ringwald.com