[Dixielandjazz] Re: Hong Kong Blues

John Ding roadie@btinternet.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:48:22 +0100

Hong Kong Blues

Hi Don and all,
A sax/piano player in a band I worked with used to do a very passable
rendition of this Hoagy tune. He was almost a paragon of virtue -
didn't drink, didn't smoke and was a totally nice guy (and Buddist).

BUT...... if HKB was to be called for the evening's gig, he needed advance
warning. To perform the number he had to first 'live the part' . Although
not a smoker, he usually kept a small stash of waccy-baccy just for this
number. On one occasion, between sets at a gig in Germany, the band leader
asked me to find 'X' (who had vanished) to establish if he *was* going to
do HKB in the final set. After much searching in the backstage areas I
eventually got a whiff of 'grass' and found him huddled up behind some of
the venue's stage props etc ...... 'living the part'. I didn't need to ask
any questions, just reported back to the boss that 'X' was getting ready.
--
John,
        Suffolk, England.