[Dixielandjazz] Re: Language & soap

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:06:10 EDT

--part1_2b.283558ba.2a30fe92_boundary

In a message dated 6/6/02 12:39:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
paul.edgerton@eds.com writes:

> Although we musicians often use colorful language in our conversations, it
> is wise to avoid doing so when using email. Everything said here must be
> considered a publication. There are no restrictions other than what the
> people who use the list place on themselves.
>

> The written word is a fragile medium. There is little to convey meaning
> other than the selection of words. The use of profane words implies a
> certain attitude toward the subject and the audience. Is that attitude
> actually a part of your message? Fine. Nobody's going to bitch-slap you
> because you said "fuckup." But if you can make you point without resorting
> to profanity, that's even better. Don't you agree?
>
> Guys like Charlie Hooks, Don Ingle and yourself add enormously to the value
> of this list. While few of us write as well as those other two, we can all
> learn something from their online demeanor. Nobody likes being told what to
> do, but this list is and must remain self-policing. So let's not start
> saber-rattling just because somebody doesn't want read profanity on public
> mailing list.
>
> And by no means should you get mad and go away. You have a lot to say and
> we
> all want to hear it. Thanks for being willing to share it with us. Now go
> wash your mouth out with soap. You know... please? :o)
>
>   - Paul Edgerton

     for cripes (whoops) sake...I was only kidding.  I have now washed my
mouth out with biodegradable, non-anti-bacterial, all natural, holistic soap
and I promise never to use f..... again.

     Jim Beebe

--part1_2b.283558ba.2a30fe92_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/6/02 12:39:47 PM Central Daylight Time, paul.edgerton@eds.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
Although we musicians often use colorful language in our conversations, it<BR>
is wise to avoid doing so when using email. Everything said here must be<BR>
considered a publication. There are no restrictions other than what the<BR>
people who use the list place on themselves.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
The written word is a fragile medium. There is little to convey meaning<BR>
other than the selection of words. The use of profane words implies a<BR>
certain attitude toward the subject and the audience. Is that attitude<BR>
actually a part of your message? Fine. Nobody's going to bitch-slap you<BR>
because you said "fuckup." But if you can make you point without resorting<BR>
to profanity, that's even better. Don't you agree?<BR>
<BR>
Guys like Charlie Hooks, Don Ingle and yourself add enormously to the value<BR>
of this list. While few of us write as well as those other two, we can all<BR>
learn something from their online demeanor. Nobody likes being told what to<BR>
do, but this list is and must remain self-policing. So let's not start<BR>
saber-rattling just because somebody doesn't want read profanity on public<BR>
mailing list.<BR>
<BR>
And by no means should you get mad and go away. You have a lot to say and we<BR>
all want to hear it. Thanks for being willing to share it with us. Now go<BR>
wash your mouth out with soap. You know... please? :o)<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; - Paul Edgerton</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; for cripes (whoops) sake...I was only kidding.&nbsp; I have now washed my mouth out with biodegradable, non-anti-bacterial, all natural, holistic soap and I promise never to use f..... again.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_2b.283558ba.2a30fe92_boundary--