[Dixielandjazz] FW:

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 20:33:02 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3106153982_4254202_MIME_Part

Someone suggested a thread awhile back and here are a few from Downs Brown,
a very fine pianist in Houston.  Some you've heard before, perhaps all,
though not necessarily attributed to the same people.  That cello quote has
been recycled through dozens of conductors.

Subject: musician quotes

> "Nine AM reminds me of Tommy Dorsey at MGM many years ago.  The assistant
> director told Tommy that he and his band were to be in makeup at eight
> o'clock the next day, in order to be ready by nine.  They were being
> featured in "DuBarry Was a Lady," one of MGM's top musicals, with Lucy and
> Red Skelton co-starring.
>
> Dorsey asked the assistant, 'You mean eight o'clock in the morning?'  'Of
> course,' he was told.  'Jesus Christ,' said Dorsey, 'my boys don't even
> start vomiting till eleven.'"
>
> - from the autobiography of Desi Arnaz
>
> An old trumpet player to a young trumpet player: "The good news is you've
> got a great technique.  The bad news is you've got a great technique."
>
> - Bob Barnard
>
> "All I wanted was to be big, to be in show business, and to travel ... and
> that's what I've been doing all my life."
>
> - Count Basie
>
> Sir Thomas Beecham, a British conductor, warned his students never to
> glance at the trombones.  "It will only encourage them," he said.
>
> "Brass bands are all very well in their place, outdoors and several miles
> away."
>
> - Sir Thomas Beecham
>
> "There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish
> together.  The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between."
>
> - Sir Thomas Beecham
>
> "Madam, you have a wonderful instrument between your legs and all you can
do
> is sit there and scratch it."
>
> - Sir Thomas Beecham to a female cello player
>
> "Stand back, give half a man a chance!"
>
> - Durwood Cline
>
> When asked about his female singer, he replied, "She's good, but she ain't
> no fried chicken"
>
> - Durwood Cline
>
> Commenting on weathercasting in on the way to a gig: "It isn't so much the
> temperature that the weatherman says it is, it's how cold it is down there
> at the windshield factory"
>
> -Durwood Cline
>
> "It doesn't bother me."
>
> Informing his sideman to be on their best behavior during the job, because
> the nervous contractor was keeping an eye on them: "She's watching us like
> we are hawks!"
>
> -Durwood Cline
>
> - Eddie Condon upon first hearing be-bop
>
> "The boppers flat their fifths.  We consume ours."
>
> - Eddie Condon
>
> "Ted Lewis could make the clarinet talk.  What it said was 'put me back in
>
> the case!'"
>
> - Eddie Condon
>
> "Finally, Beiderbecke took out a silver cornet.  He put it to his lips and
>
> blew a phrase.  The sound came out like a girl saying 'yes.'"
>
> - Eddie Condon
>
> Eddie said of Smith Ballew: "He tried to carry a tune across the street
>
> and
>
> broke both his legs."
>

> "If you get your guitar in tune, send it to me and I'll send you mine."

> [...]

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>FW: </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
<TT><BR>
Someone suggested a thread awhile back and here are a few from Downs Brown,=
 a very fine pianist in Houston. &nbsp;Some you've heard before, perhaps all=
, though not necessarily attributed to the same people. &nbsp;That cello quo=
te has been recycled through dozens of conductors.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Subject: musician quotes<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
&gt; &quot;Nine AM reminds me of Tommy Dorsey at MGM many years ago. &nbsp;=
The assistant<BR>
&gt; director told Tommy that he and his band were to be in makeup at eight=
<BR>
&gt; o'clock the next day, in order to be ready by nine. &nbsp;They were be=
ing<BR>
&gt; featured in &quot;DuBarry Was a Lady,&quot; one of MGM's top musicals,=
 with Lucy and<BR>
&gt; Red Skelton co-starring.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Dorsey asked the assistant, 'You mean eight o'clock in the morning?' &=
nbsp;'Of<BR>
&gt; course,' he was told. &nbsp;'Jesus Christ,' said Dorsey, 'my boys don'=
t even<BR>
&gt; start vomiting till eleven.'&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - from the autobiography of Desi Arnaz<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; An old trumpet player to a young trumpet player: &quot;The good news i=
s you've<BR>
&gt; got a great technique. &nbsp;The bad news is you've got a great techni=
que.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Bob Barnard<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;All I wanted was to be big, to be in show business, and to trave=
l ... and<BR>
&gt; that's what I've been doing all my life.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Count Basie<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Sir Thomas Beecham, a British conductor, warned his students never to<=

&gt; glance at the trombones. &nbsp;&quot;It will only encourage them,&quot=
; he said.<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;Brass bands are all very well in their place, outdoors and sever=
al miles<BR>
&gt; away.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Sir Thomas Beecham<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and =
finish<BR>
&gt; together. &nbsp;The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between=
.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Sir Thomas Beecham<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;Madam, you have a wonderful instrument between your legs and all=
 you can<BR>
do<BR>
&gt; is sit there and scratch it.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Sir Thomas Beecham to a female cello player<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;Stand back, give half a man a chance!&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Durwood Cline<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; When asked about his female singer, he replied, &quot;She's good, but =
she ain't<BR>
&gt; no fried chicken&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Durwood Cline<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Commenting on weathercasting in on the way to a gig: &quot;It isn't so=
 much the<BR>
&gt; temperature that the weatherman says it is, it's how cold it is down t=
here<BR>
&gt; at the windshield factory&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; -Durwood Cline<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;It doesn't bother me.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Informing his sideman to be on their best behavior during the job, bec=
ause<BR>
&gt; the nervous contractor was keeping an eye on them: &quot;She's watchin=
g us like<BR>
&gt; we are hawks!&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; -Durwood Cline<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Eddie Condon upon first hearing be-bop<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;The boppers flat their fifths. &nbsp;We consume ours.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Eddie Condon<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;Ted Lewis could make the clarinet talk. &nbsp;What it said was '=
put me back in<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; the case!'&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Eddie Condon<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;Finally, Beiderbecke took out a silver cornet. &nbsp;He put it t=
o his lips and<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; blew a phrase. &nbsp;The sound came out like a girl saying 'yes.'&quot=
;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Eddie Condon<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; Eddie said of Smith Ballew: &quot;He tried to carry a tune across the =
street<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; and<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; broke both his legs.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;If you get your guitar in tune, send it to me and I'll send you =
mine.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Herb Ellis' ad in the &quot;International Musician&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;When she started to play, Steinway himself came down and rubbed =
his name<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; off the piano.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Bob Hope, on comedian Phyllis Diller<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;Muzak goes in one ear, and out some other opening.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Anton Kuerti (b. &nbsp;1939), Austrian-born Canadian pianist<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;One never knows, do one?&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Fats Waller<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;Now, everyone look like you're having fun. &nbsp;Only don't have=
 any.&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Lawrence Welk<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; &quot;Jack Benny played Mendelssohn last night. &nbsp;Mendelssohn lost=
...&quot;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; - Unknown<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt;<BR>
&gt; * Durwood Cline was a Dallas bandleader/trombonist who gained more fam=
e<BR>
for<BR>
&gt; his fractured English and his unintentional maloprops than via his mus=
ical<BR>
&gt; ability.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</TT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3106153982_4254202_MIME_Part--