[Dixielandjazz] Sid De Paris was JC Higginbotham

Stephen Barbone dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 11:30:53 -0400

Gene Mayl wrote: (polite snip)

"Another  sit-in was our friend, Sid DeParis, "

Yeah, he is another under appreciated OKOMer. He could, and did blow
most guys away. I do remember a loft session, however, where he and Roy
Eldridge were in attendance. They got into a bit of a cutting session
and Little Jazz just astounded everybody in that "friendly" competition.
If you let him go last, Eldridge would just blow everybody away,
including Dizzy Gillespie. Very competitive and always had something
left no matter who he came up against.

BTW as jazz musicians will tell the non-musicians, these cutting
sessions were an integral part of one's jazz education. Part of the
"dues".  Sad to say they seem no longer to exist. The competition and
the camaraderie has dissappeared, along with the music.

My favorite Eldridge story is circa the time he was a fixture at Jimmy
Ryan's, (New York City) in his later years. A well meaning fan came up
and said "Gee Roy, I didn't expect to see you here playing Dixieland".
Eldridge smiled and said  "Man, I've being playing Dixieland all of my
life."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Heard Gene Mayl's band at a PA Jazz Society function a few months
ago. He's still got it.  Even some older lady groupies. :-)