[Dixielandjazz] Re: Coronation

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:29:58 EDT

--part1_c1.21bfc42e.2a2e6f36_boundary

In a message dated 6/4/02 6:23:17 AM Central Daylight Time, Kmstrmldr@aol.com
writes:

> In spite of some grousing about the monarchy, by some of your countrymen,
> our country could use a bit more "heraldry" in our patriotic behaviour.  A
> bit more respect for our forebears and what they did
> here................albeit the fact that we don't have much of a history
> compared to yours.
>
> Musical content...........since my forebears were from Scotland
> "Will Ye No Come Back Again?"
>
> Regards,
>
> Don Hale

   You speak the absolute truth, Don.  Public acknowledgement of our history
is noticeably lacking.  There are some nice ceremonies in Washington D.C. but
very few people in this country ever see them.  It would be nice if at least
one television outlet would televise them.  Wouldn't you think that Public TV
would televise these events.

    I recently acquired a marvelous video titled 'British MIlitary Pageantry
and I show parts of it to friends who come over to illustrate how pathetic
our national reverence really is.  I show the the section on "Rembrance Day"
This is held in London with a beautiful grace and solemnity. There is two
minutes of dead silence throughout London. The bugles of the Royal Marines
play the Last Post.  The Queen,  the Prime Minister and others lay wreaths at
the Cenopath.  The Guards Band plays Elgars "Enigma Variations." Followed by
the National Anthem. There is a marvelous section where the old British vets
march past...their heads are held high, they march in a proud step, the
Guardsmen escort the wheelchairs.  They are dead serious with respect and
feeling for their country.

Our own Memorial Day ceremonies are quite lame in comparison.

Don't get me started on this.............

Jim Beebe

--part1_c1.21bfc42e.2a2e6f36_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/4/02 6:23:17 AM Central Daylight Time, Kmstrmldr@aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="arial" LANG="0"><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In spite of some grousing about the monarchy, by some of your countrymen, our country could use a bit more "heraldry" in our patriotic behaviour.&nbsp; A bit more respect for our forebears and what they did here................albeit the fact that we don't have much of a history compared to yours. <BR>
<BR>
Musical content...........since my forebears were from Scotland <BR>
"Will Ye No Come Back Again?" <BR>
<BR>
Regards, <BR>
<BR>
Don Hale </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; You speak the absolute truth, Don.&nbsp; Public acknowledgement of our history is noticeably lacking.&nbsp; There are some nice ceremonies in Washington D.C. but very few people in this country ever see them.&nbsp; It would be nice if at least one television outlet would televise them.&nbsp; Wouldn't you think that Public TV would televise these events.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I recently acquired a marvelous video titled 'British MIlitary Pageantry and I show parts of it to friends who come over to illustrate how pathetic our national reverence really is.&nbsp; I show the the section on "Rembrance Day"&nbsp; This is held in London with a beautiful grace and solemnity. There is two minutes of dead silence throughout London. The bugles of the Royal Marines play the Last Post.&nbsp; The Queen,&nbsp; the Prime Minister and others lay wreaths at the Cenopath.&nbsp; The Guards Band plays Elgars "Enigma Variations." Followed by the National Anthem. There is a marvelous section where the old British vets march past...their heads are held high, they march in a proud step, the Guardsmen escort the wheelchairs.&nbsp; They are dead serious with respect and feeling for their country.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Our own Memorial Day ceremonies are quite lame in comparison.<BR>
<BR>
Don't get me started on this.............<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_c1.21bfc42e.2a2e6f36_boundary--