[Dixielandjazz] 1 hour sets

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 08:12:38 EDT

Just got home from Vegas where we had a wonderful time, thanks mainly to the
Boondockers and Fireside Jazz Band with Nina Ferro--WOW what a voice!! And
that band--what energy!! And Nan heard Paco Gatsby for the first time; she
now has a new love!!

Anyway my take an set lengths as an audient (the only reason for this post is
so I can use that word!) is that 75 minutes is too long, even with top
favorites.  Would rather have shorter, livelier, more varied sets.

45/15 had been our preference depending on the settings; O.K. for someplace
like Fresno where all venues are handy to each other, but not for Redding or
Pismo which require wheels.

We enjoyed the 60/30 at Vegas. Gave us time for a snack, nap, slots, whatever
between sets even when we weren't changing venues. Plus it gives bands with a
singer a better shot at a 3-band, 3-singer, 3-band, 3-singer tune lineup. But
then I can only think of one band that does it that way and more should.

So we go for 60/30 with 45/15 OK, too; but please no 75/15.

Thanks,
Jack & Nan Thomas
Lake Havasu City, AZ