[Dixielandjazz] Re: Coronation

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:19:23 EDT

--part1_7e.285ee85d.2a2c01fb_boundary

PLadd36932@aol.com writes:

> Arrived home and split a bottle of wine with my wife and then sat on the
> patio with a couple of snifters of Armagnac as dusk fell and watched as
> the
> lights of the town below began to come on while I listened on TV to the
> Concert from the grounds of Buckingham Palace. 13000 guests ,selected at
> random, enjoyed Kiri Ti Kanawa, Rostropovich, the Royal Ballet, Handels,
> Zadok the Priest, Fanfare by William Walton, Solo de Concours by Andre
> Messager played by 12 year old clarinetist Julian Bliss. A rousing
> rendition
> of Pomp and Circumstance which is  `Land of Hope and Glory` to us, sung by
> the choirs and the crowd, including the 40,000 who watched the proceedings
> on
> giant screens erected outside the Palace Grounds. Handels `Music for the
> Royal Fireworks` first performed 250 years ago for a previous Sovereign,
> accompanied, what else?, a fireworks display. Then the National Anthem,
> much
> derided on this list recently, produced the usual frisson which is always
> created when a large and enthusiastic crowd get their teeth into it.
> Altogether quite a day.  Hooray for the Monarchy, say I and confusion to
> her
> enemies. Not many anti monarchists or republicans about this weekend.
> Today my garden is being used for a party of about 50 Rotarians and their
> wives who will be entertained with stawberries and cream and Pimms No 1 and
>
> music, on disc, of MY choosing. The weather is still warm and sunny but
> clouding up a little. Fingers crossed!
> Incidentally there is a pop concert for 12000 guests at the Palace on
> Monday
> night featuring a collection of rock and roll,garage,hip hop or whatever
> passes for music with the younger set these days. That will be attended by
> Princes Harry and William.
> Quite a weekend.
>
> Cheers
>
> Pat

   Thanks, Pat, for your rundown on this superb concert.  I was fortunate to
catch it on PUblic TV here and I taped it.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_7e.285ee85d.2a2c01fb_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/2/02 2:30:38 PM Central Daylight Time, PLadd36932@aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Arrived home and split a bottle of wine with my wife and then sat on the <BR>
patio with a couple of snifters of Armagnac as dusk fell and watched as&nbsp; the <BR>
lights of the town below began to come on while I listened on TV to the <BR>
Concert from the grounds of Buckingham Palace. 13000 guests ,selected at <BR>
random, enjoyed Kiri Ti Kanawa, Rostropovich, the Royal Ballet, Handels, <BR>
Zadok the Priest, Fanfare by William Walton, Solo de Concours by Andre <BR>
Messager played by 12 year old clarinetist Julian Bliss. A rousing rendition <BR>
of Pomp and Circumstance which is&nbsp; `Land of Hope and Glory` to us, sung by <BR>
the choirs and the crowd, including the 40,000 who watched the proceedings on <BR>
giant screens erected outside the Palace Grounds. Handels `Music for the <BR>
Royal Fireworks` first performed 250 years ago for a previous Sovereign, <BR>
accompanied, what else?, a fireworks display. Then the National Anthem, much <BR>
derided on this list recently, produced the usual frisson which is always <BR>
created when a large and enthusiastic crowd get their teeth into it.<BR>
Altogether quite a day.&nbsp; Hooray for the Monarchy, say I and confusion to her <BR>
enemies. Not many anti monarchists or republicans about this weekend.<BR>
Today my garden is being used for a party of about 50 Rotarians and their <BR>
wives who will be entertained with stawberries and cream and Pimms No 1 and <BR>
music, on disc, of MY choosing. The weather is still warm and sunny but <BR>
clouding up a little. Fingers crossed!<BR>
Incidentally there is a pop concert for 12000 guests at the Palace on Monday <BR>
night featuring a collection of rock and roll,garage,hip hop or whatever <BR>
passes for music with the younger set these days. That will be attended by <BR>
Princes Harry and William.<BR>
Quite a weekend.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers<BR>
<BR>
Pat</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks, Pat, for your rundown on this superb concert.&nbsp; I was fortunate to catch it on PUblic TV here and I taped it.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_7e.285ee85d.2a2c01fb_boundary--