[Dixielandjazz] Re: Coronation

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 15:29:47 EDT

In a message dated 01/06/02 22:49:13 GMT Daylight Time, JimDBB@aol.com writes:

<< There is nothing comparable to this any where in the world. >>

Not Coronation chaps please. We had that 50 years ago. JUBILEE.

I wasn`t going to get in to this but since it has been brought up....

Yesterday afternoon I played a four hour gig for a Jubilee Street Party. The
householders who lived in the street had obtained permission to close the
road to traffic. Tables and chairs were set up and hog roast organised, rice
and salads supplied by various ladies. Bouncy castles for the kids. Union
flags and red white and blue bunting strung everywhere.All householders took
turns at monitoring the  people who were about, serving food and drink,
watching the kids. A BBC camera team turned up and filmed everything all the
afternoon.Lots of stuff of the band, mainly arty shots of the guitar players
fingers and my foot working the hi hat, plus some intriguing stuff involving
the bass players nasal hair.
All this under an azure sky and a hot sun. The best days weather we have seen
this year. Thats organisation!
Arrived home and split a bottle of wine with my wife and then sat on the
patio with a couple of snifters of Armagnac as dusk fell and watched as  the
lights of the town below began to come on while I listened on TV to the
Concert from the grounds of Buckingham Palace. 13000 guests ,selected at
random, enjoyed Kiri Ti Kanawa, Rostropovich, the Royal Ballet, Handels,
Zadok the Priest, Fanfare by William Walton, Solo de Concours by Andre
Messager played by 12 year old clarinetist Julian Bliss. A rousing rendition
of Pomp and Circumstance which is  `Land of Hope and Glory` to us, sung by
the choirs and the crowd, including the 40,000 who watched the proceedings on
giant screens erected outside the Palace Grounds. Handels `Music for the
Royal Fireworks` first performed 250 years ago for a previous Sovereign,
accompanied, what else?, a fireworks display. Then the National Anthem, much
derided on this list recently, produced the usual frisson which is always
created when a large and enthusiastic crowd get their teeth into it.
Altogether quite a day.  Hooray for the Monarchy, say I and confusion to her
enemies. Not many anti monarchists or republicans about this weekend.
Today my garden is being used for a party of about 50 Rotarians and their
wives who will be entertained with stawberries and cream and Pimms No 1 and
music, on disc, of MY choosing. The weather is still warm and sunny but
clouding up a little. Fingers crossed!
Incidentally there is a pop concert for 12000 guests at the Palace on Monday
night featuring a collection of rock and roll,garage,hip hop or whatever
passes for music with the younger set these days. That will be attended by
Princes Harry and William.
Quite a weekend.

Cheers

Pat