[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Concert Review - Barbone Street

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:39:21 -0500

on 7/31/02 10:48 AM, James Kashishian at kash@ran.es wrote:

> Enjoyed talking to them more than listening to them, and was
> disappointed, 'cause I know they could have thrilled the boots off of me
> if they mood had been right.  Shame.

    Well, yes.  Exactly.  When those guys are on, they can outplay just
about anybody.  But steady dates at the same club, same small audience, can
blow the charge off just about any band after awhile, and the big question
is: how do you keep renewing this?

    The Celebration Road Show had the ideal gig: a different one every night
in a different town or in a circuit of towns where the audience came ready
to party and already loved the band.  They gave the band energy!  And,
unless you had a heart of stone, you gave it back!  No matter how whipped
out you were from the travel, once there, the energy started to flow and
then look out!  Happened over and over again.

    But we all know this.

Charlie