[Dixielandjazz] Re: Is You IS or Is You AIN'T

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:56:14 -0400

Nancy Giffin wrote: (polite snip, do not take out of context)

>have you never played a solo where you felt really in-tune with the spirit of
the composer or musician >who made the piece famous, and find this enhanced your
playing?

List mates & Nancy:

Yes, probably happens more than musos care to admit. It may be internally
generated also, you know, like it's not that "you turn me on baby", it's that "I
turn myself on when I think of you, baby."  A small difference perhaps, but
important to understanding self and delivering an energetic performance, musical
or otherwise.

Mind over matter?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone