[Dixielandjazz] Giving a listen

Ken Gates keng@iswest.com
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 19:30:01 -0700

LIstmates--
Visited the local library.  Came back with a book "Where's the Melody?"
by Martin Williams-----how to listen to jazz.  And a new service with this
library was to check out jazz CD's.  A very limited selection---so I checked
out the Ken Burns CD featuring Thelonious Monk.  The book gave a
wondrous description of the recording session of "Misterioso" by T.M.
My enjoyment of jazz ranges from Bunk Johnson to Eddie Condon to
Lester Young to current mainstreamers like Ken Peplowski and a whole
lot in between.  But it had not reached out to Monk, Parker, Coltrane etc.
I've read Steve Barbone's admiration of Monk, I read the book mentioned.
I determined to give it a good try.  I listened to the CD twice.  Once with
the attitude of intently trying to figure out what I was hearing.  The other
time with as much detachment to intellect as possible---letting the sound
reach me.
My reaction is about what I feel when visiting an art museum and observing
"modern" art that seems to be a random collection of colors and shapes.
It doesn't reach me.  Perhaps some deficiency I have.  But no matter.
There is so much good music that I enjoy hearing----I'm not going to worry
about that which I don't "get".  To each his own as they say.  But I did
give it a good listen.
Ken Gates (Not yet ready for Monk)