[Dixielandjazz] Re:Smokey Stover

gebooks gebooks@qwestonline.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:42:36 -0400

Hodes video on the Storyville label along with Tony Parenti, Hodes and =
others including Condon.=20
Gene Mayl
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: JimDBB@aol.com=20
  To: dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 1:48 PM
  Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re:Smokey Stover

  In a message dated 7/24/02 11:25:40 AM Central Daylight Time, =
charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

    > Jim Beebe, Don Ingle or Charlie
    > Hooks will have some personal memories to share.

        Jim, why don't you tell them about Smoke's little interlude with =
the
    IRS?  He probably wouldn't mind.  And if he does, I wouldn't mind.

    Charlie

     Charlie, I'm not sure if I know enough accurately to comment on =
Smokey Stovers
  IRS-prison situation.  I'll try and perhaps someone knows more.  As I =
understand it, Smokey Stover tooks taxes out of his band members pay but =
never payed it into the IRS.  That is a big non-no. They caught him =
eventually and he went to prison.  I don't remember for how long and =
what years.  I believe that at least some of the musicians got screwed =
in that the IRS hit them for the unpaid taxes.  I remember that Hal =
Benson had to pay money to the IRS.

  JIM Beebe=20

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C23341.E13C2020

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jim:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On a long ride to a gig in Omaha, =
&nbsp;Smokey told=20
me about his IRS proiblem. Seems he owed Uncle Sam about $35,000 in =
withholding=20
taxes he had deducted but from his crew but never remitted to the =
government. He=20
went to the federal pen in southern Illinois, I believe. He became a =
trustee=20
there in three days due to a mob connection and ate a steak dinner every =
night=20
with the former Chicago don and the warden. His job was to drive the =
warden's=20
big Caddy or such into town each morning, take along&nbsp;several other =
trustees=20
and give them the&nbsp;various lists for the grocery store, meat market, =

hardware store, etc. Smokey told the guys not to rich and sat at a bar =
for=20
several hours while the daily supplies were picked up. Not too tough for =
being=20
incarcerated!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>He was released after 6 months and owed =
the=20
government nothing. Smokey said he never, in his life, made $35,000 in 6 =

months.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>He was a good trumpet play with fine =
technique and=20
little soul to his playing. A fun guy though.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I could go one. He can be heard to good =
advantage=20
on one of the Art Hodes video on the Storyville label along with Tony =
Parenti,=20
Hodes and others</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>including =
Condon.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Gene Mayl</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DJimDBB@aol.com =
href=3D"mailto:JimDBB@aol.com">JimDBB@aol.com</A> </DIV>
  title=3Ddixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com">dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet=
.com</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, July 24, 2002 =
1:48=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Dixielandjazz] =
Re:Smokey=20
  Stover</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT size=3D2>In a =
message dated=20
  7/24/02 11:25:40 AM Central Daylight Time, <A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:charliehooks@earthlink.net">charliehooks@earthlink.net</A>=
=20
  writes:<BR><BR><BR>
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px =
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"=20
  TYPE=3D"CITE">&gt; Jim Beebe, Don Ingle or Charlie<BR>&gt; Hooks will =
have=20
    some personal memories to share.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim, why =
don't=20
    you tell them about Smoke's little interlude with the<BR>IRS?&nbsp; =
He=20
    probably wouldn't mind.&nbsp; And if he does, I wouldn't=20
  mind.<BR><BR>Charlie</BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Charlie, I'm not =
sure if=20
  I know enough accurately to comment on Smokey Stovers<BR>IRS-prison=20
  situation.&nbsp; I'll try and perhaps someone knows more.&nbsp; As I=20
  understand it, Smokey Stover tooks taxes out of his band members pay =
but never=20
  payed it into the IRS.&nbsp; That is a big non-no. They caught him =
eventually=20
  and he went to prison.&nbsp; I don't remember for how long and what=20
  years.&nbsp; I believe that at least some of the musicians got screwed =
in that=20
  the IRS hit them for the unpaid taxes.&nbsp; I remember that Hal =
Benson had to=20
  pay money to the IRS.<BR><BR>JIM Beebe</FONT> =
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C23341.E13C2020--