[Dixielandjazz] Re:Smokey Stover

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:48:22 EDT

--part1_114.14c52da5.2a704266_boundary

In a message dated 7/24/02 11:25:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

> > Jim Beebe, Don Ingle or Charlie
> > Hooks will have some personal memories to share.
>
>     Jim, why don't you tell them about Smoke's little interlude with the
> IRS?  He probably wouldn't mind.  And if he does, I wouldn't mind.
>
> Charlie

   Charlie, I'm not sure if I know enough accurately to comment on Smokey
Stovers
IRS-prison situation.  I'll try and perhaps someone knows more.  As I
understand it, Smokey Stover tooks taxes out of his band members pay but
never payed it into the IRS.  That is a big non-no. They caught him
eventually and he went to prison.  I don't remember for how long and what
years.  I believe that at least some of the musicians got screwed in that the
IRS hit them for the unpaid taxes.  I remember that Hal Benson had to pay
money to the IRS.

JIM Beebe

--part1_114.14c52da5.2a704266_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/24/02 11:25:40 AM Central Daylight Time, charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&gt; Jim Beebe, Don Ingle or Charlie<BR>
&gt; Hooks will have some personal memories to share.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim, why don't you tell them about Smoke's little interlude with the<BR>
IRS?&nbsp; He probably wouldn't mind.&nbsp; And if he does, I wouldn't mind.<BR>
<BR>
Charlie</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Charlie, I'm not sure if I know enough accurately to comment on Smokey Stovers<BR>
IRS-prison situation.&nbsp; I'll try and perhaps someone knows more.&nbsp; As I understand it, Smokey Stover tooks taxes out of his band members pay but never payed it into the IRS.&nbsp; That is a big non-no. They caught him eventually and he went to prison.&nbsp; I don't remember for how long and what years.&nbsp; I believe that at least some of the musicians got screwed in that the IRS hit them for the unpaid taxes.&nbsp; I remember that Hal Benson had to pay money to the IRS.<BR>
<BR>
JIM Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_114.14c52da5.2a704266_boundary--