[Dixielandjazz] overlooked clarinetists: Jack Crook and Vince Catolica

Artwoo@aol.com Artwoo@aol.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:43:59 -0400

Hi:
I'd like to add two names from the Bay Area: Jack Crook and Vince Catolica.

I remember Jack from Turk Murphy's group in the 60's. Jack had a crusty tone and played from the right side of his mouth and always seemed to be looking at the doorway, as if he was trained in the speakeasy days to keep an eye open for a raid.

As I recall he also doubled on bass sax and really pumped out some good lower register honking to add a raspy character to the bass line.

Another star from the Bay Area is Vince Catolica. He has he heart of a lamb but played with the conviction of lion whose presence was felt even if he wasn't playing. I am told that Benny Goodman gave Vince an expensive clarinet in appreciation of Vince's talent. Vince is related by marriage to Jack Wiard a superb clarinetist now living in Australia.

I am told that Vince retired several years ago, frustrated that his age was diminishing his playing. I was saddened to hear that, because even if an occasional note might be imperfect, who cares when a genius is producing the sound?

Another Bay Area clarinetist that no one except me will remember is Frank Fradella. He taught me how to play Italian dance music and swing; I will be forever grateful to him. Frank died of Liver cancer a few years ago.

Thanks for allowing me to share the memory of these fellows.

Sincerely,
Art Wood