[Dixielandjazz] Overlooked or out of mind clarinetist

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:33:45 EDT

--part1_80.1ed287a3.2a6f7a19_boundary

In a message dated 7/23/02 9:28:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> Don & List Mates:
>
> Two come to my mind. First Sal Pace, a fixture at Nick's in NYC in the
> 50s. Wonderful man, solid player. The other is Hank D'Amico, a neighbor
> and early influence on me. He was with Red Norvo and Mildred Bailey in
> the 30s. In the 50s, he was a studio muso in NYC and did some free lance
> jazz work around the NY Metropolitan area. Wonderful tone, and a
> non-Goodman mind of his own on solos.

   Here are some great clarinetists that should not be overlooked or
forgotten.

   Phil OIivella...active in New York, most notably with Phil Napoleon.  One
of the
   best solo and ensemble clarinetists ever.

   Tony Costa...active in New Orleans with Tony Almerico and others.
wonderful.

   Lester Bouchon...active in New Orleans, most notably with sharkey Bonano
and
   is on many of his capitol recordings.  A wonderful and unique style.

   Boojie Centobie...active in New Orleans with Sharkey, George Girard and
others
   great clarinetist.

   Bill Napier...active many years in frisco and on many of Bob Scobey's
great
   great recordings.  Bill is still active there.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_80.1ed287a3.2a6f7a19_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/23/02 9:28:29 PM Central Daylight Time, barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Don &amp; List Mates:<BR>
<BR>
Two come to my mind. First Sal Pace, a fixture at Nick's in NYC in the<BR>
50s. Wonderful man, solid player. The other is Hank D'Amico, a neighbor<BR>
and early influence on me. He was with Red Norvo and Mildred Bailey in<BR>
the 30s. In the 50s, he was a studio muso in NYC and did some free lance<BR>
jazz work around the NY Metropolitan area. Wonderful tone, and a<BR>
non-Goodman mind of his own on solos.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Here are some great clarinetists that should not be overlooked or forgotten.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Phil OIivella...active in New York, most notably with Phil Napoleon.&nbsp; One of the <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; best solo and ensemble clarinetists ever.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Tony Costa...active in New Orleans with Tony Almerico and others.&nbsp; wonderful.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Lester Bouchon...active in New Orleans, most notably with sharkey Bonano and <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; is on many of his capitol recordings.&nbsp; A wonderful and unique style.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Boojie Centobie...active in New Orleans with Sharkey, George Girard and others<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; great clarinetist.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Bill Napier...active many years in frisco and on many of Bob Scobey's great <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; great recordings.&nbsp; Bill is still active there.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_80.1ed287a3.2a6f7a19_boundary--