[Dixielandjazz] Re:Smokey Stover

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:24:34 EDT

--part1_113.14d647eb.2a6f77f2_boundary

In a message dated 7/23/02 8:58:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au writes:

> Dear Sandy,
> Smokey Stover the trumpet player is Robert Stover (1931- xxxx).
> Smokey Stover the drummer was Harold Stover (19xx-1974) and more famous. I
> have
> a bit more about him if wanted, but am sure Jim Beebe, Don Ingle or Charlie
> Hooks will have some personal memories to share.
> They (the Stovers) are unrelated.
> Sorry, but can't help with anything about Willie Wimber.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

   No, no....Harold Stover was Smokey Stover the trumpet player.  Harold
Stover was a young trumpet player in the U.s. Marine Band in Washington D.C,
an elite military band that performs Whitehouse and other State Functions.
I'm not sure how long he was in that but he left the Marines and entered the
jazz fray in the midwest. He put together an entertaining Dixieland Jazz
group that caught on in the late 60s, early 70s.  He barnstormed around the
midwest with this group and did quite well.  He was a very formidible trumpet
player and died fairly young of a brain aneurisym, I believe.  Maybe somebody
will jump in here with more information.

  Smokey Stover, the jazz drummer, was active on the west coast in the 50s
and appeared often at the Hangover Club in San Francisco.  Quite a good and
popular drummer at the time.

  JIm Beebe

--part1_113.14d647eb.2a6f77f2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/23/02 8:58:39 PM Central Daylight Time, bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Dear Sandy,<BR>
Smokey Stover the trumpet player is Robert Stover (1931- xxxx).<BR>
Smokey Stover the drummer was Harold Stover (19xx-1974) and more famous. I have<BR>
a bit more about him if wanted, but am sure Jim Beebe, Don Ingle or Charlie<BR>
Hooks will have some personal memories to share.<BR>
They (the Stovers) are unrelated.<BR>
Sorry, but can't help with anything about Willie Wimber.<BR>
Kind regards,<BR>
Bill.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; No, no....Harold Stover was Smokey Stover the trumpet player.&nbsp; Harold Stover was a young trumpet player in the U.s. Marine Band in Washington D.C, an elite military band that performs Whitehouse and other State Functions.&nbsp; I'm not sure how long he was in that but he left the Marines and entered the jazz fray in the midwest. He put together an entertaining Dixieland Jazz group that caught on in the late 60s, early 70s.&nbsp; He barnstormed around the midwest with this group and did quite well.&nbsp; He was a very formidible trumpet player and died fairly young of a brain aneurisym, I believe.&nbsp; Maybe somebody will jump in here with more information.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Smokey Stover, the jazz drummer, was active on the west coast in the 50s and appeared often at the Hangover Club in San Francisco.&nbsp; Quite a good and popular drummer at the time.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; JIm Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_113.14d647eb.2a6f77f2_boundary--