[Dixielandjazz] Band etiquette during solos

Creole Dixieland Jazz Band Creole Dixieland Jazz Band" <dixielandjazz@myexcel.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:01:03 -0500

I absolutely agree. It is a matter of professionalism as well as "show biz"
and too many players do not take it seriously. <The paragraph below struck a
chord with me because sometimes there are players in our band that are
guilty of this ver thing.>

Dave
=======================
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
Dave Gravatt
417-581-5626
www.CreoleJazz.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Augustine" <ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 2:07 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Band etiquette during solos

> Folks--
>     Several posts about bass solos reminded me (unpleasantly) of behavior
i've occasionally seen during solos, especially (for some reason) bass/tuba
solos. The people in the band who are not playing sometimes seem to walk
around, talk to each other (sometimes loudly enough for the audience to
hear), joke, and generally behave as if nothing's going on.  They're just
waiting to play again, and are bored.
>     I think this is pretty bad and unprofessional behavior.  The shining
example of how to do it correctly (to my mind) is the way the Jim Cullum
band does it: stand and listen respectfully to the soloist.  Sometimes
they'll leave the stage, but even then they'll face the person taking the
solo and appear to listen.  I've seen a number of otherwise pretty good
bands (sometimes even nationally known players) act as if nobody's playing,
and this diminishes them in my eyes.  Maybe they don't know they're doing
it, maybe nobody's told them what to do and not do.  Ain't no excuse.