[Dixielandjazz] Good tuba/double bass/electric bass

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:58:49 -0500

Ron wrote:

>>>Would you really want to do 16ths in OKOM even today?  Would that not
clutter the space, making less space available for other instrumental
statements as well as needlessly complicating the rhythmic framework?<<

       When the horns are playing, I have enough sense to play straight
rhythm, but occasionally I get a bass solo.
         That's usually the signal for the horn players to "clutter the
space" with conversation about ball games,  fishing, or crab grass.
          Be that as it may, it's a brief opportunity for the bass player to
show off a little and play something besides straight 2/4 or 4/4.
          Are you going to suggest how I play my solos?
        That's when no one else should be making any "instrumental
statements", and I'll complicate the rhythmic
framework to the best of my ability.
          Pat Cooke