[Dixielandjazz] Overlooked orout of mind clarinetist

Don Ingle dingle@baldwin-net.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:38:44 -0400

I played afew sides this past weekend and heard some old friends or old
favorites that are not all that well mentioned these days. Time to recall
some clarinetists who were among the "good players" ranking.
Art Lyons
Bill Woods
Bill Stegmeyer
Jerry Fuller
Stan Story
Gene Bolen
Jimmy Granata
Zep Miessner
The  list could go on.
It is nice to hear a name dropped form time to time to remind me, and maybe
you, of good players past and present. If you can add to this list, please
do.
I guess it is a part of growing older that we get a tad nostalgic at times.
Thank goodness that many of these guys recorded.
My personal choice is Matty Matlock for several reasons. One, he was a good
friend and mentor to me in the learning stages as an arranger. Secondly, his
tone and warmth of sound gave you a good idea that the man playing was just
as warm and gentle a person.
Billy Woods, just passed a few years ago, was a long time member of  Red
Nichols' 50's-60's band, and played late with the Yankee Wailers. Another of
the really nice people. He had a big round, woody tone.
Art Lyons was most active on the L.A. Scene in the poswt war years, did
studio work, and was a superb player.
Stan Story worked with Ted Vesley's band, and I recall especially hearing
him play a\one tune..."What's Your Story, Morning Glory" as a solo piece
with Vesley's fine band (which included the tasty, tasty trumpet of Bobby
Higgins.)
I still exchange Christmas cards with Gene Bolan. Who didn't he work with
around the country? From Smokey Stover to Gene Mayl and a few dozens other
gig-meisters. Recorded with a Bakersfield band several years ago and still
played his B flat a** off. Nice guy,too.
Well, just thought I'd toss out this thread idea, and see what comes back.
Don Ingle