[Dixielandjazz] Jazz - Funeral

Tito Martino tmartino@terra.com.br
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:36:59 -0300

Dear List mates,

I want to share with you an extraordinary experience I had a couple of
weeks  ago. Please remember that English is not my mother tongue.

The other Thursday night I received a phone call at 11pm, from a young
man. He said: "Tito, I am sad to tell you that my grand-mother passed
away today, peacefully, at 4pm."

I was deeply saddened with these news: in fact, the sweet old lady with
about 89 years old, was the mother of my great friend Marcos, my old pal
from Engineering school benches, partner in many mountain climbing
adventures, and financial supporter behind my two CDs.

He continued, "We where talking, between we her grand-sons, about how
much she liked you and your Jazz; in fact she used to go to many of your
performances. And we figured how nice would be if you come to play at
her funeral service, tomorrow morning at 10am".

I said, "Let me tell you, in fact she herself asked me to do so, just
two years ago! She wanted a New Orleans Funeral. And I told her, I will
be very sad, but you can trust on me".      He didn't know that!

Next morning at 10am I was at the Cemetery, with tuba player ; the
trumpet, banjo and snare drum players didn't make it, they just got
stuck in a heavy traffic jam (Sao Paulo, pop. 15 million).

The coffin was put over a small cart with flowers and hand-pushed to the
open grave, circa 100 meters ahead. Some 120 persons, friends and
relatives marched along under a vaporous and cold rain spray. As soon we
begun to play Just a Closer Walk With Thee, at a slow pace only clarinet
bass register and tuba,  everybody started to weep. After the service
prayer, I  told the people how much she was happy and helped people to
be happy; and the better memory we should have from her ought to be an
happy one; so, let's go home with the happy sounds of The Saints go
Marching In. And thus we finished the services.

Next week (this last Thursday) the whole band was present at the Church
for seventh day service, and we played after Mass a selection of
Spirituals, slow and fast; Old Rugged Cross, By ad By,  Deep River, etc.

Later, we received many compliments and gratitude from relatives and
friends.

I hope she rests in peace.

Tito  Martino
Sao Paulo Brasil