[Dixielandjazz] Great gigs - was electric contrabass

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:33:37 -0400

bert barr wrote:

> Uptown Lowdown Jazz Band of Seattle just played a very
> classy gig in Jackson Hole,WY. We performed a concert
> Sat evening and a Sunday Morning Gospel set. Great pay
> and great accomidations.

Way to go Bert. Hopefully there are more on the DJML that like to hear
about Great Gigs. And More Great Gigs lurking out there.

Bragging? So what. We've all been beaten down to think that there is no
audience for OKOM, and no money if you play it. That is just ignorance
talking. Let's disprove that notion.

Hey, what about Great Jazz Wedding Gigs? And I'm talking REAL JAZZ
WEDDING GIGS. Barbone Street has done a few. At the Philadelphia Fine
Arts Museum, The Congressional Country Club in Bethesda MD, The Merion
Cricket Club, The Gulph Mills Country Club, The Vicmead Hunt Club, etc.,
etc., etc. for some pretty classy people, heirs and heiresses, captains
of industry, etc.

At the Truks head Music Fest yesterday, a guy videotaped the band at
close range as a group, and then individually. After the set, he handed
me his brochure and asked if he could include us. He runs a video
wedding band showcase. Clients come to him, look at bands on video and
choose one which he books.

He said we would be a sensation. Best band in his stable. Would we work
with him? I said sure as long as we didn't have to give up our right to
book weddings on our own. No problem.

Play OKOM, where the people are, and they will listen.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone