[Dixielandjazz] Instrument cost - was electrified bass

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:38:29 -0400

Henry Stinson wrote (polite snip)

"However, the good double basses cost several thousand dollars each,
so I can understand someone not wanting to invest in one."

Just about any good musical instrument costs several thousand dollars
these days. A far cry from 1950 when I bought a new top of the line
Buffet and a top of the line LeBlanc, (clarinets) for less than $800 for
the pair. Still use the Buffet sometimes, but sold the LeBlanc in 1969
for $600. (very slightly used, and a beautiful horn in looks, response
and intonation)

I think plywood basses are about 2K, No?  How much is a good carved
double bass these days?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone