[Dixielandjazz] Enews release for JAZZ AND DEATH

Steve Yates (UPM) SYates@ihl.state.ms.us
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:14:09 -0500

{ SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1}Dear Dixielandjazz=97

Dr. Frederick Spencer asked me to send this release to you.

I wanted you to know about a new book from our press.
I=92ve attached a news release below. If you know of others
who would appreciate the news, I encourage you to pass
this release along. If you have questions, please email me at
{   HYPERLINK "mailto:syates@ihl.state.ms.us." }syates@ihl.state.ms.us.

Thanks for taking a look at the release.

Cordially,
Steve Yates
University Press of Mississippi

JAZZ AND DEATH: MEDICAL PROFILES OF JAZZ GREATS
By Frederick J. Spencer, M.D.
University Press of Mississippi
$35.00, hardback, ISBN 1-57806-453-8

                                      Book News for Immediate Release

              Doctor sets out to right wrongs in jazz
                          historical record

Reading biographies of the jazz greats, Dr. Frederick J.
Spencer often found something lacking.

=93The careers of many jazz musicians may have been
accurately documented,=94 Spencer writes in the introduction
to his new book JAZZ AND DEATH: MEDICAL PROFILES OF
JAZZ GREATS (University Press of Mississippi), =93but
accounts of their illnesses and deaths often vary and lack
conviction.=94

In the COMPLETE IDIOT=92S GUIDE TO JAZZ, Scott Joplin is
reported to have =93suffered a total nervous collapse in 1911
and was ultimately consigned to an insane asylum in 1916.
A year later, he was dead.=94

Not so, says Spencer. =93Joplin=92s nervous collapse was syphilis
and was far from total in 1911. He was not admitted to a
hospital until 1917, and then died within two months.=94

With a physician=92s care, Spencer conducts an inquest on
how jazz greats lived and died pursuing their art. In the
book, forensics, medical histories, death certificates, and
biographies divulge the way many musical virtuosos really
died.

Creating an essential reference source, JAZZ AND DEATH
strives to correct misinformation and set the story straight.
Reviewing the medical records of such jazz icons as Scott
Joplin, James Reese Europe, Bennie Moten, Tommy Dorsey,
Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker, Wardell Gray, and Ronnie
Scott, the book spans decades, styles, and causes of death.

Divided into disease categories, it covers such illnesses as
ALS (Lou Gehrig=92s Disease) that killed Charlie Mingus, and
tuberculosis that caused the deaths of Chick Webb, Charlie
Christian, Bubber Miley, Jimmy Blanton, and Fats Navarro. It
notes the significance of dental disease in affecting a
musician=92s embouchure and livelihood, and discusses visual
impairment, blindness, and alcohol, heroin, and tobacco
addiction, cancer, and many other killers.

With JAZZ AND DEATH, the causes behind the great jazz
funerals may no longer be misconstrued. Its clinical and
morbidly entertaining approach creates an invaluable
compendium for jazz fans and scholars alike.

Frederick J. Spencer is a professor and associate dean
emeritus of the School of Medicine (Medical College of
Virginia) at Virginia Commonwealth University.  He has
been published in the NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF
MEDICINE, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL
ASSOCIATION, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH, and
MODERN MEDICINE, among other publications.

                                # # #

For more information contact Steven B. Yates, Assistant
Marketing Manager/Promotions, 601.432.6459, e-mail
syates@ihl.state.ms.us.{   HYPERLINK "http://www.upress.state.ms.us" }http=
://www.upress.state.ms.us
Read more about it at:
http://www.upress.state.ms.us/catalog/spring2002/jazz_and_de