[Dixielandjazz] A slow start to the Million Dollar Question

BillSargentDrums@aol.com BillSargentDrums@aol.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:04:31 EDT

--part1_fd.1ad66d2b.2a68875f_boundary

In a message dated 7/18/02 12:27:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
stridepiano@tesco.net writes:

> Bill Sargent said :
>
> "it's a concious effort of physicological programming."
>
> Okay Bill, you've got me. Despite receiving a pretty impressive education I
> do not have the remotest idea of what that means. Please provide an
> interpretation.

Considering how I spelled physcological, I guess I don't know what it means
either.

Really, it's simple, and I suspect everyone hear already knows the answer.

Anybody who's been performing for any length of time should already know that
first impressions are lasting ones, and the first minute of a performance is
porbably the one of the most important determining factors of how that
performance will be perceived. As well as the last tune and the notes,
melodies, that the audience carrys away with them determines how you will be
remembered.

Pacing the music so that different tempos and different styles stand out
within the performance and pace the performance so it goes somewhere from a
point A to a point B without wandering about aimlessly.

That the excitement level and entertainment value builds, or increases
throughout the set . . .  rather than the other way around. That the
performance ends on a higher note than it started.

It's all musical "choreography". I believe everyone on this list already
knows this stuff.

Hope this helps,
Bill
414-777-0100
BillSargent.com

--part1_fd.1ad66d2b.2a68875f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 7/18/02 12:27:21 PM Central Daylight Time, stridepiano@tesco.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Bill Sargent said :<BR>
<BR>
"it's a concious effort of physicological programming."<BR>
<BR>
Okay Bill, you've got me. Despite receiving a pretty impressive education I<BR>
do not have the remotest idea of what that means. Please provide an<BR>
interpretation.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Considering how I spelled physcological, I guess I don't know what it means either.<BR>
<BR>
Really, it's simple, and I suspect everyone hear already knows the answer.<BR>
<BR>
Anybody who's been performing for any length of time should already know that first impressions are lasting ones, and the first minute of a performance is porbably the one of the most important determining factors of how that performance will be perceived. As well as the last tune and the notes, melodies, that the audience carrys away with them determines how you will be remembered.<BR>
<BR>
Pacing the music so that different tempos and different styles stand out within the performance and pace the performance so it goes somewhere from a point A to a point B without wandering about aimlessly.<BR>
<BR>
That the excitement level and entertainment value builds, or increases throughout the set . . .&nbsp; rather than the other way around. That the performance ends on a higher note than it started.<BR>
<BR>
It's all musical "choreography". I believe everyone on this list already knows this stuff.<BR>
<BR>
Hope this helps,<BR>
Bill<BR>
414-777-0100<BR>