[Dixielandjazz] Definitions - was Band dress & festival attendance

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:51:21 -0400

See what you started Dr. Hooks?  Petard has several definitions. among them,
the definition that Dixie describes below. But in addition, and in the context
of the original post, petard is also described as:"hoist with, or by one's own
petard" . . .  meaning "destroyed by the very device with which one meant to
destroy others"

If you do not have this definition in your dictionary, you need a better
dictionary in order to understand Charlie and/or William Buckley.

No doubt the eminent Dr. Hooks traces it's usage in the context above, back to
William Shakespear's brooding Danish Prince,  Hamlet.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone