[Dixielandjazz] Definitions - was Band dress & festival attendance

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:10:39 -0400

Charlie Hooks wrote about opinions & posts on the DJML and the question:

> Are we hoisted on our own petards?

"Actually, quite an apt phrase in this context--but you'll have to get
Bill Gunter to define "petard" for you.  Or look it up in the OED for
yourself.

helpfully?"

List mates:

Don't let Dr. Hooks (Ph.D.) get away with that. If anybody can define
"petard", he and William Buckley can. Not only is he a learned
academician in "English", but also a fine jazz musician and all around
wig. Wig meaning smart person, (New York City slang) not a member of the
Liberal Party in England, (Whig).

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. If he leaves the list., not only will I send all my posts to him as
Jim Beebe suggested but copies of the entire digest every day under
various return address names so he cannot block them with a spaminator
;-)