[Dixielandjazz] Quinn Wilson

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:54:52 EDT

--part1_118.14a031cb.2a6868fc_boundary

In a message dated 7/18/02 12:11:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> In my five year at Jazz Ltd in chi, I was able to work with a legend, Quinn
> Wilson. Quinn played string bass and a Sousaphone blow bass. He recorded,
> at
> age 16, onthe blow bass with Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers in Chicago
> (Chimes Blues, etc.). Then worked for years with the Earl Hines band at
> Chicago's famed Club Delise and Grand Terrace. He recorded with Hines that
> period, a band that included Darnell Howard,Omar Simeon and other players
> of
> note.
> Quinn played both instruments equally well.  It was my good luck and great
> pleasure to have known and worked with this fine musician, and good friend.

   Right on,  Don Ingle.  Thank you for remembering the great Quinn Wilson.
Quinn's sousaphone solos were absolute classics and he never varied them.  He
was like Armstrong in that regard and he was right...when you have a perfect
solo worked out...why change it.  Quinn was a very classy guy and so easy
going even Barrett Deems didn't ruffle him.  Roy Eldridge came in for his
funeral and I relished that chance to play with him.  As I remember, Don, one
of the tunes we did a Quinn's funeral was 'Battle Hymn.'   Quinn was also
known for his arrangements for some of the early big bands such as Earl
HInes.   Quinn Qilson, one of the greats.

JIm Beebe

--part1_118.14a031cb.2a6868fc_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/18/02 12:11:28 PM Central Daylight Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In my five year at Jazz Ltd in chi, I was able to work with a legend, Quinn<BR>
Wilson. Quinn played string bass and a Sousaphone blow bass. He recorded, at<BR>
age 16, onthe blow bass with Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers in Chicago<BR>
(Chimes Blues, etc.). Then worked for years with the Earl Hines band at<BR>
Chicago's famed Club Delise and Grand Terrace. He recorded with Hines that<BR>
period, a band that included Darnell Howard,Omar Simeon and other players of<BR>
note.<BR>
Quinn played both instruments equally well.&nbsp; It was my good luck and great<BR>
pleasure to have known and worked with this fine musician, and good friend.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Right on,&nbsp; Don Ingle.&nbsp; Thank you for remembering the great Quinn Wilson.&nbsp; Quinn's sousaphone solos were absolute classics and he never varied them.&nbsp; He was like Armstrong in that regard and he was right...when you have a perfect solo worked out...why change it.&nbsp; Quinn was a very classy guy and so easy going even Barrett Deems didn't ruffle him.&nbsp; Roy Eldridge came in for his funeral and I relished that chance to play with him.&nbsp; As I remember, Don, one of the tunes we did a Quinn's funeral was 'Battle Hymn.'&nbsp;&nbsp; Quinn was also known for his arrangements for some of the early big bands such as Earl HInes.&nbsp;&nbsp; Quinn Qilson, one of the greats.<BR>
<BR>
JIm Beebe<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></HTML>

--part1_118.14a031cb.2a6868fc_boundary--